Marlow Museum welcome
Marlow Museum
Marlow Bridge and All Saints Church

 Features 

 Higginson Drum 

 1830 Map 

 Commemorating VE Day 

 Lace Making 

 Trinity Church Bell 

 All Saints models 

 Marlow Donkey 

 Grig Weel 

 WW1 Helmet 

 Wind in the Willows 

 Poppits 

 French Post Box 

 Oldest Object 

 River Finds 1 

show menu

Refresh page This page is regularly updated, please select here to view the latest version.

The Higginson Drum

 

During The Crimean War (1853 -1856) British, French and Turkish troops fought together to prevent Russia from invading Turkish territory in what is now Romania. The fighting was mainly around the Russian naval base of Sebastopol on the Crimean peninsula (now in the Ukraine). The war is chiefly remembered in the UK for Florence Nightingale and the Charge of the Light Brigade.

 

On September 9th 1855 during the 11 month siege of Sebastopol, Captain (later General Sir George) Higginson (1826 – 1927) captured a side drum from the Russians. He brought the drum home with him and presented it to the 1st (Marlow) Company of the Bucks Rifle Volunteers.

 

General Higginson's family had a long association with the town; he, his parents, grandparents and uncle are all buried in All Saints churchyard. He lived at the family home, Gyldernscroft in the Henley Road, from his retirement in 1893 to his death in 1927.

 

The side (or snare) drum was the main instrument of a military band marching into battle, and our example is a rope-tension design with wide wooden hoops, a wooden shell and an animal-skin head. The side drum was increasingly decorated throughout the 19th century, until it bore the fully embellished regimental colours of the battalion, including its battle honours. This drum was repaired and repainted after capture by the firm of George Potter in Aldershot.

 

As the use of musical instruments on the battlefield diminished, it was quite frequent for band instruments to be sold or disposed of after military campaigns, and it is possible that the drum was one of these. How and where the drum spent the 20th century is not known. In the early years of this century Stephen Bosley, owner of the specialist military auctioneers who used to have a shop in Marlow High Street, was touring Scotland looking for items of interest. When the drum was brought to him, he immediately recognised it and the connection to Marlow. The drum was scheduled by Bosleys to be sold at auction in Marlow on September 11th 2002.

 

A public appeal was launched to secure the drum for the town led by the late Anthony Wethered of Remnantz. An amount of £4,672 was raised to buy the drum and provide a display case for it. The drum was presented to Marlow Town Council and has been on display in Marlow ever since. It is one of our most prized exhibits.


- Objects in Focus 01 -

 

 

facebook twitter linked in

 

Find Us:

 

Marlow Museum location

 

Opening Times:

 

Mar-Oct

Saturdays 13:00 - 17:00

Sundays 13:00 - 17:00

Wednesdays 14:00 - 17:00

 

Nov-Feb

Sundays 14:00 - 16:00

 

 

Marlow Museum,
by entrance to Court Garden Leisure Centre,
Pound Lane, Marlow,
Buckinghamshire,
SL7 2AE.

 

 

Raise money for Marlow Museum when you shop online. .. read more

 

 

£ Grants / Funding

 

Thank you to these organisations

 

 

Become a Friend and/or Member of Marlow Museum. .. read more

 

Buckinghamshire Lottery

 

Website Contents

 

(for most small images - select image to enlarge)  

 

 

 

 

 

show menu